Date:      19 Nov 2001 10:32:08 -0600
From:      James McNaughton <jtm63@enteract.com>
To:        "Joe & Fhe Barbish" <barbish@a1poweruser.com>
Cc:        "FBSD Questions" <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: FBSD4.4 can not find seral port com1/sio0

"Joe & Fhe Barbish" <barbish@a1poweruser.com> writes:

> Why does the probe say com1 & com2 disabled when com1 is really enabled?
> What is my next move to correct this problem?
>

> BOOT Log  verbose
> FreeBSD 4.4-RELEASE #6: Fri Nov  9 19:46:17 GMT 2001
>
> config> di sio1
> config> di sio0

These lines are telling you that sio[1,2] are being disabled by the
kernel configuration file "/boot/kernel.conf". This may have happened
when you installed the OS during the visual hardware configuration
screen. You can edit the file and delete these lines in order to stop
this from happening.

I may be wrong, but I think this is one of the rare changes that
requires a reboot in order to take effect.

BTW. I had trouble getting connected to my ISP with the same model of
modem you have. It required very specific initialization strings to be
used to set the modem up properly. If you have trouble connecting you
can look in the modem log from Windows to see what those strings
are. If you can't find them there send me an email and I'll try to
find my old ppp configuration in my archives.

N.B. that I only read my email 2 or 3 times a week so an immediate
reply is not guaranteed.

Happy hunting...