Date:      Fri, 29 Aug 2003 19:56:45 -0700 (PDT)
From:      zera holladay <zera_holladay@yahoo.com>
To:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Shared memory question

When one uses the term "shared memory" while
discussing Unix, then what is generally the meaning of
that term?  I have read that some Unixes have "shared
memory" for "shared objects."

However, I believe the term "shared memory" more
generically refers to user space as opposed to kernel
space?  Further, the kernel should allocate and
deallocate memory for user space as requested so as
not to crash the system.  If this is correct, then it
is very unlikely that a program running in user space
will ever crash a properly configured unix system?

Thank you for your patience.

Zera