Date:      Wed, 17 Dec 2008 23:12:28 +0100
From:      Pawel Tyll <ptyll@nitronet.pl>
To:        freebsd-scsi@freebsd.org, freebsd-geom@freebsd.org
Subject:   Adaptec 52445

Hello list,

I'm having problems with Adaptec 52445 controller.

System doesn't detect drives connected to the controller as disks (I
expect something like da0?). There are pass devices in the system, and
'camcontrol inquiry 0:0' returns: < ST3750330AS SD15> Fixed unknown
SCSI-5 device, but still there is no way to use the disk and GEOM
doesn't detect it.

Second problem surfaced when looking for a workaround for the first
one. After detaching the drive from the controller, it properly
vanishes from arcconf utility, however FreeBSD is still very sure that
the drive is attached. Pass device is still present and camcontrol
lists the device in devlist, however accessing this device via simple
volume created on it with arcconf, which is still present in the
system even when it's faulty, as all components of this "volume" are
gone, causes controller to crash.

Has anyone had similar experience with this controller and got around
them somehow? I suppose I could use RAID6 from the controller itself,
but I'm hoping to give ZFS a try.

Above happens on 7.0-PRERELEASE, 7.1-RC and with newest firmware and
driver for the controller (build 16343)

Cheers!