Date:      Thu, 11 Nov 2004 07:19:08 -0600
From:      "Trevor B. Sullivan" <TSullivan@baxterwoodman.com>
To:        <freebsd-newbies@freebsd.org>
Subject:   FreeBSD 5.2.1 Dual NIC's

Hi, I have a Compaq Proliant 3000 server with a fresh install of FreeBSD
5.2.1 on it. It has an Intel Dual-port NIC (of which I'm using one
port), and a Netgear GA620 Gigabit fiber card. The copper port is
referred to as fxp0 and the fiber, ti0. I'm having a problem getting the
two network connections to work together with the same network address.
My private subnet is 10.100.100/24, though if I try to set two adapters
each with their own IP but on the same network, I get "File already
exists" or something to that effect. The default route to my m0n0wall
box is set through fxp0, and I can get ti0 to work if I set the network
addr to 255.255.255.255, but then if my copper interface goes down
(using "ifconfig fxp0 down" as test), the fiber interface will not then
connect. My basic question is...how do I get two independent cards to
have their own IP address on the same network address? Thanks in advance
for assistance.
=20
Trevor B. Sullivan
Information Technology