Date:      Tue, 15 Jul 1997 13:06:06 -0700
From:      David Greenman <dg@root.com>
To:        andrew@ugh.net.au
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: NFS connections hanging - more info

>The connection will sometimes return again with the messages server has
>stop responding, server is alive again. It will be OK for a bit then
>dissappear again.
>
>The STABLE box has a Digital PCI Ethernet Card (de driver), the RELEASE
>box has an ISA NE2000 clone (ed driver).

   What happens when you increase the NFS timeout? I've noticed that the
timeout is calculated a bit low and heavy disk activity on the server can
sometimes cause the "not responding" messages to come out, even when there
isn't a real problem. I think the default timeout value that is calculated
in the kernel is actually bogusly low in some versions of FreeBSD, but I
could be wrong about that.

-DG

David Greenman