Date:      Thu, 8 Jan 2009 03:01:39 +0000
From:      Walt Roberts <wroberts@securenym.net>
To:        freebsd-mobile@freebsd.org
Cc:        =?iso-8859-1?q?Ra=FAl_Oyanedel_Westermeyer?= <royanwes@yahoo.com>
Subject:   Re: Installing FreeBSD 7.1 on Presario v2000 laptop

I have this system running 7.0-RELEASE.

Here is the problem.  When freebsd boots it does a device probe looking for
serial and parallel io ports.  These ports do not exist on the V2000
notebooks.  They have been removed and replaced with USB and Firewire ports.

When FreeBSD is booting it probes for these devices and subsequently hangs
when they don't answer.  I'm not an internals guy, so I don't know exactly
where it hangs, and much as I wish I had time to dig through the code, I
don't.

There is an easy and straightforward work around.

Boot into the boot loader.  When the bootmenu comes up select the loader menu.
I think this is number 6.  You will get an OK prompt.

At this point you can disable the device probes for the paralle port and the
serial ports.  Type SHOW to list the parameters.

Then at the OK disable the probes by SET   as follows:

OK  set hint.sio.0.disabled 1
OK  set hint.sio.1.disabled 1
OK  set hint.sio.2.disabled 1
OK  set hint.sio.3.disabled 1

This will disable the probes for those devices.  I also disable the parallel
port for this notebook.

OK  set hint.ppc.0.disabled 1
OK

At this point you can now boot the system with the boot command:

OK boot

The system should boot normally from this point on.  Once you get an operating
system, go to /boot/device.hints and place these flags in the device.hints
file.  The system should read this file and boot without using the boot
loader.

By the way, I have been using this system for about 4 years with FreeBSD and
KDE with a split disk for those few commercial programs I must use with the
Redmond OS.  It has been a tremendous workhorse around the world.

I never had to do this with the i386 incarnation, only the AMD64.

A second problem is the ndis driver for the wireless card.  You can't just
build a new ndis driver around the Broadcom drivers.  The original BCWL5.sys
and .inf don't work on AMD64 builds.  You must use the 64 bit versions of
these.  I think they started making them with VISTA, but I'm not sure.  I
somehow found a the BCMWL564.sys somewhere and rebuilt the ndis wrapper and
it works fine.  If you need more information on where I got the driver, I'll
see if I can remember where it came from.

Again, this was not a problem with the i368 kernel, only the AMD64.  On the
plus side, I think the system runs much better with the AMD64 kernel than the
i368 kernel.

--
Walter A. Roberts, MD
Karmanos Cancer Institute