Date:      30 Jun 2003 16:11:28 +0000
From:      Olivier Cortes <olive@deep-ocean.org>
To:        Erik Paulsen Skaalerud <erik@pentadon.com>
Subject:   Re: Wich laptop to get?

Le Mar 24/06/2003 à 23:54, Erik Paulsen Skaalerud a écrit :
> I know, this probably has been asked a million times before, but I thought I
> should ask this because of the acpi, or, well, the troubles with laptops and
> FreeBSD 5.1..
>
> What is a great laptop to buy these days? I'm kind of poor, so I cant get a
> expensive one. I need a laptop with:
> - a good GFX card (yes, I do play games on windows, I'll dual-boot)
> - space for lots of memory (1GB)
> - hopefully something faster than a 4200rpm disk. I'm considering getting a
> laptop with USB2 interface and a external disk, and just use it via USB1 in
> FreeBSD (since it doesnt like USB2 much, yet atleast.)
Hi,

I use a Fujitsu-Siemens AMILO EL, celeron 2Ghz based.
bad side: it is noisy and hot, it has probably no 3D support (i didn't
try under Windoze because i don't have windoze on it).
good sides: everything works (X@1024, dualhead, TV out, ethernet,
pccard, sound, ACPI (need some tweaking and some bug reports, but
globally working, not hanging, not crashing), has 512Mb RAM for me, can
be extended, USB 2 works with 5.1 (i own a 120G IDE drive in a USB2.0
enclosure and a 11Gb 2'1/2 in USB2 enclosure too, damn fast!), firewire
should work (driver loads OK, but i don't own any peripherals), CD-RW
works with atapicam, DVD play OK, cheap (EUR 999).

hope this helps,

Olivier