Date:      Wed, 3 May 1995 09:10:32 -0400 (EDT)
From:      jim@reptiles.org (Jim Mercer)
To:        bde@zeta.org.au (Bruce Evans)
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: AST 4 port, pppd and FreeBSD 2.0--950412-SNAP

> >my first problem is that the AST 4 port card, although recognized
> >by the kernel on boot, does not seem to talk to the modems i have
> >connected to the ports.  did something possibly slip in the -current
> >stuff?
>
> Nothing related to AST 4 ports is supposed to have changed significantly
> lately.

my apologies, i decided to take a harder look at the board, and i had
one dip switch wrong (i think it was the interrupt sharing one).

the AST board works fine now.

> >pppd seems to run fine on either port, however, if i want to do
> >two conncurrent pppd's it doesn't seem to allocate the next ppp device
> >in the kernel.
>
> Only one ppp and on sl pseudo device are allocated in the GENERIC
> configuration, unfortunately.

here, i had an odd thing.

i have 2 28.8 ppp links to my provider.

one is my default route, the other is a dedicated link for news traffic.

the problem i had was that when pppd fired up and negotiated the addresses,
both connections had the same destination address (my provider's
terminal server).

this cause the second pppd to use the same ppp interface (ppp0).

i fixed it by hardcoding different ip addresses in the options file.

works fine now.

--
[ Jim Mercer                 jim@reptiles.org              +1 416 506-0654 ]
[          Reptilian Research -- Longer Life through Colder Blood          ]