Date:      Wed, 31 Jan 2007 15:49:39 +1100
From:      Antony Mawer <fbsd-questions@mawer.org>
To:        rhyous@yahoo.com
Cc:        trhodes@FreeBSD.org, freebsd-doc@FreeBSD.org, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: man sysinstall

On 31/01/2007 3:05 PM, Jared Barneck wrote:
> I found the answer for how to reboot in the code.  To
> reboot add the following to the end of the
> install.cfg:
>
> shutdown
>
> I found it in this source file:
> /usr/src/usr.sbin/sysinstall/dispatch.c
>
> This source file has a list of a lot of the functions
> that can be called in the install.cfg. Even though the
> function is called "shutdown" it is a reboot not a
> shutdown, which is perfect because I wanted it to
> reboot.

I have a local patch that we use on our installation process that adds a
couple of new commands:

     poweroff - shutdown and power off the machine (useful for doing
                 installation, then shut down for shipping)
     poweroffNoRC - as above, but don't attempt to write rc.conf
     shutdownNoRC - like regular "shutdown" (reboot), but no rc.conf

The latter two options are handy if you write your own scripts that
generate rc.conf, as normally sysinstall tries to write rc.conf itself
on shutdown, which clobbers any existing file your scripts may create.

If anyone is interested and/or these are likely candidates for inclusion
then I can submit a PR to have someone check these in. I also have a man
page update that documents the above functions.

Cheers
Antony