Date:      Tue, 5 Aug 2008 13:33:20 -0500
From:      David Kelly <dkelly@hiwaay.net>
To:        Gary Kline <kline@thought.org>
Subject:   Re: general questions about 7.0 and computer efficiency......

On Tue, Aug 05, 2008 at 11:19:31AM -0700, Gary Kline wrote:

> 	I kep track on the load on my main server, and it is rarely above
> 	0.20.  If the load is a poor metric of power use, what is
> 	better?  (My new `Watt-o-Meter' is checking the power right now,
> 	but I would like to know what drink the most juice: disk,RAM,
> 	processor, OpSys?  Number of hit/hours? I want my upgrades to
> 	be as cost-effective as possible, in other words.

There isn't a good generic answer to your question. "It all depends" on
exactly what hardware you have. A good rule of thumb is 10W for each
disk drive, but some were much higher. Pull the data sheets for your
drives.

A Kill-A-Watt on the power cord is the best way to answer the total
question. My old ancient Dell Optiplex running 5.5 draws about 60 watts
including the APS 350CS UPS. Am not about to unplug it without good
reason:

dkelly@AndrAIa {1004} uptime
 1:30PM  up 670 days, 21:08, 2 users, load averages: 0.00, 0.00, 0.00

I found a 10G drive in the trash yesterday. Would one day be a nice
upgrade for the 4G drive in the above.

--
David Kelly N4HHE, dkelly@HiWAAY.net