Date:      Fri, 10 Mar 2000 14:11:17 -0500 (EST)
From:      Chuck Robey <chuckr@picnic.mat.net>
To:        Dennis <dennis@etinc.com>
Cc:        Wes Peters <wes@softweyr.com>, Didier Derny <didier@omnix.net>, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Is FreeBSD dead ?

On Fri, 10 Mar 2000, Dennis wrote:

> >I fail to see how you can read anything bad into this announcement.  If
> >you're really concerned, you have just as much right to the code as any
> >one else, feel free to take the 4.0 code base and create your own system.
> >BSDidier has a nice ring to it.
> >
> >Personally, I've been running FreeBSD since 1.0, and I'll be sticking
> >with it for quite some time to come.
>
> Ever read Animal Farm? Remember that BSD/OS started out as "cheap with
> source" and grew into "just another OS company". Good ideas can turn bad
> very quickly.

Instead of assuming that they are going to "go wrong", why not give them a
chance to do it right?  Everything is in place for exactly the right
things to happen, I couldn't have planned it better myself, but some folks
aren't happy unless they see conspiracy.

When you see something wrong, you can speak up, but stop complaining about
stuff that hasn't even happened yet.  You could generate enough ill
feelings and bad publicity to *cause yourself* the exact thing you're
worried about.

Chuck Robey            | Interests include C & Java programming, FreeBSD,
chuckr@picnic.mat.net  | electronics, communications, and signal processing.

New Year's Resolution:  I will not sphroxify gullible people into looking up
fictitious words in the dictionary.