Date:      Wed, 31 May 2000 23:57:57 -0600
From:      Warner Losh <imp@village.org>
To:        Kris Kennaway <kris@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        Andy Farkas <andyf@speednet.com.au>, freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: GENERIC 4.0 kernel compile fails on in_cksum.c

In message <Pine.BSF.4.21.0005311822060.18628-100000@freefall.freebsd.org> Kris Kennaway writes:
: Then perhaps you'd like to include instructions for overcoming the
: in_cksum problem people have been seeing? :-)

I don't know why they are seeing it.  Here's what I did just now
(well, it has been running a while, it just finished):

setenv MAKEOBJDIR /tree-sloth-disk/imp/obj
cd FreeBSD/4x/src
cvs update -PAd -r RELENG_4		(grab sources as of at least
					 May 30)
make buildworld
make buildkernel KERNEL=GENERIC

I would suspect that if I were to install the kernel, frob the /dev
entries, etc that I'd have a bootable 4.0 system.  But since this is
our main disk server, my boss would get annoyed with me for doing that
:-).  Since the kernel and the modules built w/o a problem using this
sequence, I would recommend it to everyone.

In fact, I think I'm going to tweak UPDATING to read:
	make buildworld
	<follow directions to build/install a kernel>
	cd /usr/src/sys/modules
	make install
	cd /usr/src/sbin/mknod
	make install
	<follow rebuild disk /dev entries above>	[1]
	reboot

Rather than the current order, since I know that this works.  It also
puts the system in an inconsistant state for a shorter period of time
since the modules are installed just after the kernel, rather than
before the build of the kernel starts.

Comments?

Warner