Date:      Tue, 23 Mar 2010 09:47:23 +0100
From:      Mikolaj Rydzewski <miki@ceti.pl>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   freebsd-update insists on updating fresh system

Hi all,

I've performed system upgrade last night, then I wanted to give a try to
freebsd-update tool. If I understand it correctly, it should fetch only
updates to my currently working system (unless -r option was given). But
now it insists to upgrade my 6.4-p9 system to 6.4-p9 system:

k2# uname -a
FreeBSD k2.xxx 6.4-RELEASE-p9 FreeBSD 6.4-RELEASE-p9 #0: Mon Mar 22
17:21:50 CET 2010     miki@xxx:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/K2  i386
k2# freebsd-update fetch
Looking up update.FreeBSD.org mirrors... 3 mirrors found.
Fetching metadata signature for 6.4-RELEASE from update4.FreeBSD.org...
done.
Fetching metadata index... done.
Inspecting system... done.
Preparing to download files... done.

The following files will be updated as part of updating to 6.4-RELEASE-p9:
/usr/src/contrib/lukemftpd/src/ftpd.c
/usr/src/etc/mtree/BSD.var.dist
/usr/src/lib/libc/db/btree/bt_split.c
/usr/src/lib/libc/db/hash/hash_buf.c
/usr/src/lib/libc/db/mpool/mpool.c
/usr/src/libexec/ftpd/extern.h
/usr/src/libexec/ftpd/ftpcmd.y
/usr/src/libexec/ftpd/ftpd.c
/usr/src/sys/conf/newvers.sh
/usr/src/sys/fs/devfs/devfs_vnops.c
/usr/src/sys/kern/kern_event.c
/usr/src/sys/kern/kern_exec.c
/usr/src/sys/kern/kern_fork.c
/usr/src/sys/kern/sys_pipe.c
/usr/src/sys/kern/uipc_domain.c
/usr/src/sys/netinet6/in6.c
/usr/src/sys/sys/event.h
/usr/src/sys/sys/pipe.h
/usr/src/usr.sbin/freebsd-update/freebsd-update.sh
k2#

Why is it doing it so?

On the other hand, what is the suggested way to upgrade a system with
custom kernel? Since freebsd-update cannot upgrade custom kernel, I have
to build it on my own. And it says, that I have to install new kernel
before I run 'freebsd-update install'. Does that mean, that I have to
fetch source tree, build/install new kernel, and then fetch world binary
updates?

--
Mikolaj Rydzewski <miki@ceti.pl>