Date:      Tue, 8 Apr 1997 14:21:38 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@gdi.uoregon.edu>
To:        "Steven L.Richardson" <stretch@dsp.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: boot from beyond 1024 cyl?

On Tue, 8 Apr 1997, Steven L.Richardson wrote:

> I tried finessing around the 1024 cylinder limit on active paritions by
> using a copy of the root partition's boot record (using dd and the raw
> device copying 512 bytes) and employing a boot manager (NT's in this
> case).  But it barfs and I guess I've learned the hard way that only
> 10 bits are allocated at some very low level, such as in the boot record
> itself, for addressing cylinder location.  Is there any way around this?
> I phoned my bios (Award) manufacturer and all they could suggest was
> LBA.  Is a bios change the only way out of this predicament?

Unfortunately, no.  It's in the BIOS.

Based on your disk usage, to get FreeBSD running w/o a boot floppy (?)
you'll have to reslice.  (have you tried the boot floppy btw?)

You could try adding a slice to your boot disk and putting just the root
partition there.

> I think the answer is that there is simply no way around this and that I
> should have done installation with LBA or fragmented my NT partition
> and installed freebsd root below cyl 1024 (as your documentation clearly
> states!)  Is that in fact the case?

AFAIK, you are in a jam.

Second disks are really nice :)