Date:      Sun,  8 Dec 96 13:20:08 +0700
From:      "Victor A. Sudakov" <victor@vas.tomsk.su>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org, shovey@buffnet.net
Subject:   Re: "talk" does not work. Please help.

>   > >
>   > >   Sure.  The smallest ethernet you can have is 1 node.  If you're using
>   >
>   > A great idea has just occured to me :-)
>   >
>   > In Windows NT there is a software emulator of an ethernet card.
>   > You can assign an address to it and work as if you had a real
>   > ethernet card.
>   >
>   > If someone could write a similar driver for FreeBSD it would be
>   > just great. I wish I were a programmer myself.
>
>   I believe thats what localhost is isnt it?

I do not think so. AFAIK localhost in FreeBSD cannot have an
arbitrary address, only 127.0.0.1

I was told that in Windows NT the software emulator can have an
arbitrary address. A person who is running an NT Server told me.

---
Victor A. Sudakov                          E-mail: victor@vas.tomsk.su
Center of Information Technologies         FidoNet: 2:5005/49
Tomsk Region Education Department          Telephone: +7 3822 224916
Tomsk, Russian Federation                  Telefax:   +7 3822 225912