Date:      Sun, 20 Mar 2005 15:00:53 -0500 (EST)
From:      Tom Huppi <thuppi@huppi.com>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   amd /home & /usr/home mounts

I've got 'amd' starting with -F /etc/amd.conf from /etc/rc.conf:

--------
amd_enable="YES"               # Run amd service with $amd_flags
amd_flags="-F /etc/amd.conf"
amd_map_program="NO"            # Can be set to "ypcat...
--------

and my /etc/amd.conf file has, amoung other things...:

# ----------
# Define an amd mount point.

[ /home ]

map_type                = file

# Specify filename containg actual map.
map_name                = auto.amd

# Specify that we want the directory to be padded out or not.
browsable_dirs          = no

---------------

My /etc/auto.amd has no entry for 'foo_local'.  It only includes
those users who have home dirs on a filer.

What I want is that only '/home/usr_in_map' is automounted, _not_
'/usr/home/foo_local', but that's what's happening for a user
called 'foo_local' who's entry is at the bottom of my passwd file
(since he's got the highest UID.)  The auto.amd map shows no entry
for this user obviously.

My question is, is this behaviour basically a bug, built in but
not well documented behaviour, or is there something I'm not aware
of whereby I'm instructing amd to also handle '/usr/home' in
adition to '/home'?  (Like order in the pwf, for instance?)

BTW, my /etc/nsswitch.conf is stock:
passwd: compat
passwd_compat: nis

FWIW, I've got a workaround by making the local user's home dir be
in '/usr/local/home', but it doesn't seem like I should have to do
this, and it seems to aurgue against pwf order issues being the
cause of what I'm seeing.

Thanks,

 - Tom