Date:      Wed, 7 Jun 2000 06:03:51 +0200
From:      Szilveszter Adam <sziszi@petra.hos.u-szeged.hu>
To:        advocacy@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Anti-BSD FUD

On Tue, Jun 06, 2000 at 06:48:29PM -0600, Brett Glass wrote:
> See
>
> http://www.zdnet.com/zdnn/stories/comment/0,5859,2582875,00.html

Although the topic (as any topic involving GPL vs BSDL) is potentially
highly susceptible to flaming (no smoking in the area, please) and I usually
do not post in flame wars, this time I would like to add a couple of things.

The article did not talk about the BSDs in a negative light, it only talked
about the license, yet it was quick to point out that BSD operating systems
are "high quality". I do not think this is FUD.

The article did not eulogise the FSF approach as a whole, either, it even
sounded a very valid argument against RMS's attitude. It only pointed to a
fact in the BSDL which we all knew existed but have not payed much attention
to this far. This is not FUD, this is criticism. Even though we are getting
good press lately not least because our PR machinery is accelerating (and I
am happy to see that for as long as the information presented is factual and
correct and truth is not taken over by marketing talk), we must also take into
account that as our visibility increases,
people will actually have opinions about us and those will not always be
favorable and not always come from dedicated supporters. This is not bad, on
the contrary.

As to the merit of the article, I find that the author's points are valid to
some degree. If you base your only hope on licenses and laws to protect you
and count on an otherwise hostile environment, where everyone is out to
crush you in any way not explicitly forbidden, the GPL is a better choice.
In an environment where you can count on decade-old customs and traditioms
of sharing and improving, of giving everyone fair credit, of fair use even
when you are making profit from it, law will not be your only recourse.
This is the approach we seem to cultivate. We seem to hold that it is not
only laws which make sure that things function, it is peoples' belief that
it should work this way and them voluntarily following the rules, too. And
indeed, this is a very important factor in why rules and regulations work
even when they are not expressly enforced by force or even when such
enforcement is not even possible. However, there are situations when the
FSF's more pessimistic approach is more valid. It must be decided on a
case-by-case basis, after all, licenses were invented to serve a need and
you must decide what your needs are instead of making this a religious
issue.

BTW I think even the GPL would not have stopped Microsoft from making
proprietary  extensions to the protocol, because of their "freedom to
innovate" ideology which has not been defeated yet, and which is in fact
just a cover for "I can do whatever I want to because I am the leader and
everybody will have to follow me sooner or later. Also, noone dare touch me
because I am the American economic growth and I hold America's future in
innovations in IT." The only reason it has not yet
come to a showdown between the FSF and Microsoft is the fact that there are
alternatives they can take (like BSDL-ed software) without piling up legal
costs and going for confrontation.

But this paragraph is only personal opinion and commentary.

Wish you all a nice day from the sunny Southern Hungary.
--
Regards:

Szilveszter ADAM
Szeged University