Date:      Thu, 28 May 1998 17:19:47 +1000
From:      Bruce Evans <bde@zeta.org.au>
To:        current@FreeBSD.ORG, Pierre.Dampure@barclayscapital.com
Subject:   Re: ELF Stage 2: results

>- The links created for the crypt libraries under /usr/lib/aout do not
>necessarily match what was present in /usr/lib; in effect, I was suddenly
>switched from DES to MD5 (which of course caused some problems when trying
>to log in...). Of course, this is just a one off, so it doesn't matter that
>much.

I understand this now.  At least the non-secure src/lib/libcrypt/Makefile
doesn't install the links if they already exist, so switching the
version is difficult even if it is to recover from a build bug.  Also,
src/lib/Makefile used to traverse the libcrypt directories in an order
that ensured that the wrong version was always installed first in the
clean /usr/lib/aout directory.  The change in rev.1.69 of src/lib/Makefile
won't make any difference until you delete the bogus links.

src/Makefile still has related bogons:
- the libraries target traverses the libcrypt directories in the old
  order.  Oops, I don't understand this now.  Installing src/lib/libcrypt
  first here should make the change in rev.1.69 of src/lib/Makefile a
  full no-op.
- the bootstrap-libraries target only builds src/lib/libcrypt.  This
  is probably harmless, since the bootstrap libcrypt is only used by
  the bootstrap perl which is only used to create one file in perl/usub.

Bruce