Date:      Sun, 13 Jun 1999 08:24:38 -0700
From:      Kent Stewart <kstewart@3-cities.com>
To:        Stephen <5tephen@linuxstart.com>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD Recommended CPU ?

Stephen wrote:

> Which CPU recommended to run Freebsd ?
> 1. Celeron
> 2. K6-2

It really depends on what you are going to do. If you intended to do
some serious number crunching, which is FPU and memory intensive, than
neither choice is a good one. You will save now and pay later, and
later, and later... Your question then becomes one of which cpu
performs least poorly. It all comes down to whether you are bumping
into one of the cpu's poor features or not. I am using an application
called setiathome that is processing radio telescope collected data on
a Celeron 433 running FreeBSD 3.2-stable and on two P-II 400's running
NT. The application requires 50% longer to process a work unit (WU) on
the Celeron than it does on NT systems. The NT machines have PC-100
memory and the Celeron doesn't and PC-66 memory is 50% slower. If I
leave the pretty display on, the NT systems require twice as long to
process a WU as the FreeBSD system does. I joke that it can be
"pretty" slow. If an application was using data out of cache the
Celeron would have the advantage over the P-II. It depends on what you
are going to do. The K6 can use PC-100 memory and anything that by
design uses the fast memory get's my vote.

The old decision tree of choosing any two of Speed, Quality, or Price
still applies. The definitions have just changed slightly.

Kent

> Thank You,
>
> Regards,
> Stephen