Date:      Fri, 1 Mar 2002 17:16:24 -0800
From:      Alfred Perlstein <bright@mu.org>
To:        Kris Kennaway <kris@obsecurity.org>
Cc:        Max David =?iso-8859-1?Q?Kr=FCper?= <m.krueper@linuxwork.de>, freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: httpd in malloc(): warning: recursive call (FreeBSD error??)

* Kris Kennaway <kris@obsecurity.org> [020301 17:10] wrote:
> On Sat, Mar 02, 2002 at 12:36:54AM +0100, Max David Krüper wrote:
>
> > The php doesn't work well after this, i get sometimes errors, it tells
> > me there would be errors in the code, but if i refresh it works fine,
> > and the apache prints "Internal Server Error"... but this happens only
> > under high server load. Is it a FreeBSD bug? I found similar problems
> > in mailinglists from last year, all about FreeBSD! What might we do to
> > fix that, use Linux again ?? :>
>
> Why would you think it's a FreeBSD bug, not an apache bug?  The malloc
> code on Linux doesn't display warnings for this kind of thing, AFAIK.
> FreeBSD is just being more verbose.

Kris is right.

However usually the trick to fixing this is just to reinstall apache
and php.  I'm not sure what causes it, possibly some bugs if you
somehow got the two out of sync with each other.

--
-Alfred Perlstein [alfred@freebsd.org]
Tax deductible donations for FreeBSD: http://www.freebsdfoundation.org/