Date:      Sat, 01 Jan 2000 13:01:38 -0500 (EST)
From:      Will Andrews <andrews@TECHNOLOGIST.COM>
To:        Karl Denninger <karl@Denninger.Net>
Cc:        freebsd-ports@FreeBSD.ORG, Steve Price <sprice@hiwaay.net>
Subject:   Re: ports/15822: Update port misc/HomeDaemon to V0.99

On 01-Jan-00 Karl Denninger wrote:
> Correct.  My first submission got a reject and nasty comment back from
> one of your other committers that I violated the hier(7) rules - when I
> explained why I had done so, I got stony silence in reply.

What?! I'm not a committer. I'm just another porter.. I simply stated that I
didn't think your port followed hier, and that it could be modified to do so.
But of course you thought it was an attack.. (and I did reply to that reply!).
I was NOT vituperating your efforts! I am sorry you think that is so.

> So I went back to the code and did a LOT of work to conform and write
> installation code - even though it probably wasn't such a good idea,
> as I found out later, in that doing so (and doing the PLIST and other
> stuff "the FreeBSD way") made it really easy to LOSE a *LOT* of hard
> work for the users of the software.

What's so hard about adding a few #define's as necessary and then using gcc
-DXX=\"blah\"? Maybe I just don't know how your program works. :)

> The original was never committed because someone else (not you) has
> refused to do so.  You closed the others which is fine, but none of the
> originals was ever committed, and in fact, since the first REJECT message
> I had no idea if you folks were *ever* going to commit the original - and
> had assumed the answer was *no*.

Again, you're not checking the facts. Since when did I ever pass myself off as
a committer? Besides, if I were a committer, any other committer who disagreed
with my beliefs could argue with me about it, and certainly could decide to
import your port (him/her)self!

And you seem to think that your port was "rejected" - but if you had noticed
the PR audit trail, none of the PRs were ever closed (and they would have been
if I had actually been a committer and actually had "rejected" your port).

You seem to be taking my reflex reaction to your PLIST a little hard. I was
only trying to help ensure that if at all possible, we don't get (yet another)
port that violates hier (lesstif being one of the most glaring ones). I think
hier is one of the best things about FreeBSD, after all.

> I'll be happy to wait, but when someone tells me to go stuff, basically,
> and then does not reply to my follow-up in a timely fashion (a couple
> of days) I have only two options:

Again, you're misinterpreting my original reply.

> I thought send-pr was the way to "talk to" gnats officially... If not, ok,
> but then the original has to be comitted first before I can do this (as you
> noted below).

But you can send replies to PR's by putting "Re: ports/<insert PR number>" as
the subject, and then using send-pr to reply if your mail has any sensitive
data (like tabs, which my MUA tends to convert to spaces), but else you can
just use your usual MUA to reply to PR issues.

> Any idea on a timeline when the "now original" commit can/will be done?

I'm sure that it can be done as soon as you clear up your misunderstandings
with me.

--
Will Andrews <andrews@technologist.com>