Date:      Wed, 15 Oct 1997 12:37:25 +0300 (EEST)
From:      Andrew Stesin <stesin@gu.net>
To:        Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Call for Fortran assistance.

On Wed, 15 Oct 1997, Mike Smith wrote:

> Our second design threw the data through a FIFO, but Fortran has funny
> formatting requirements for sequential-access data that have stymied us.

	What was so strange there with the formatting?

> We tried converting to ASCII and then parsing it back in, but that's
> too slow.

	As far as I recall, Fortran is able to handle "binary"
	input records (in a way like one do read(2)/write(2)
	of a memory buffer containig a C struct foo { ... };
	or some kind of an array)
	without a formatting and conversion overhead.  But that
	was some 10-12 years ago I was doing this daily, so
	my memory may serve me wrong (?)  Anyway you will be
	able to fill a Fortran array with bytes from an input
	stream without any conversion and use the buffer' content
	in any way you like then, using Fortran' equivalent
	of C union xxx { ... };  that is a COMMON construct.

> We've offered to write a Fortran-callable C procedure that can manage
> reading the FIFO, but they don't use procedures much (!) and want an
> all-fortran solution.

	Oh damn...

Best regards,
Andrew Stesin