Date:      Thu, 10 Aug 95 18:12:58 METDST
From:      marino.ladavac@aut.alcatel.at
To:        fadorno@ix.netcom.com (Fred Adorno ) (Fred Adorno)
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Printcap and Laser printer

> I have not been able to configure my Epson laser printer with this
> software.  It is setup for a single user on a 486DX66 machine.  The
> printer device is lpt0.  Please help me!!!!!

What appears to be the problem?

What would you like to print?  ASCII, PostScript, something else?
What emulations does your printer support (i.e. PostScript, PCL-4, PCL-5,
GDI, FX, LQ, ... ?)

However, if you should be so unlucky that your printer happens to be
one of the GDI kind, you can forget it.  Those critters require MS-Windows,
as it is the Windows GDI subsystem which is used for rasterization.  It
might be possible to find out the wire protocol used for GDI printers,
but it is not obvious whether there is much point in it, as those printers
require two-way communicaiton with the host.

If you are not so unlucky, many options are there (GhostScript, apfilter,
to name a few.)

Could you please provide some more info?

/Alby