Date:      Mon, 19 Nov 2007 12:47:53 -0500
From:      "Philip M. Gollucci" <pgollucci@riderway.com>
To:        Freebsd questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   6.2->8.0 current w/ custom /etc/make.conf

Hi All,

I've many times successfully gone to 7.0 or 8.0 current.

cat << EOF > /etc/make.conf
NO_ATM=true      # do not build ATM related programs and libraries
NO_AUTHPF=true   # do not build and install authpf (setuid/gid)
NO_FORTRAN=true  # do not build g77 and related libraries
NO_GAMES=true    # do not build games (games/ subdir)
NO_GPIB=true     # do not build GPIB support
NO_I4B=true      # do not build isdn4bsd package
NO_INET6=true    # do not build IPv6 related programs and libraries
NO_OBJC=true     # do not build Objective C support
NO_PF=true       # do not build PF firewall package
NO_PROFILE=true  # do not build Profiling libs
EOF

I have some other things, but they are irrelevant.
Next, I follow the standard steps in /usr/src/Makefile to upgrade.
including
	make delete-old delete-old-libs

Next, After the final reboot, I did
# pkg_add -r bash sudo vim-lite
$ sysutils/libchk ; sudo make install clean
$ sudo libchk

Unresolvable link(s) found in: /sbin/pflogd
        libc.so.6
        libpcap.so.4
        libutil.so.5
Unresolvable link(s) found in: /sbin/pfctl
        libmd.so.3
        libm.so.4
        libc.so.6
Unresolvable link(s) found in: /sbin/atmconfig
        libc.so.6
        libbsnmp.so.3
/usr/bin/sscop
        libngatm.so.2
        libc.so.6
        libnetgraph.so.2
        libbegemot.so.2

Obviously, this is because of my /etc/make.conf.  I wonder if
make delete-old-* should account for and delete related files based on
NO_* Knobs ?

This was direct installed from 6.2-release CD and _immediately_ upgraded.

Philip M. Gollucci (philip@ridecharge.com)
o:703.549.2050x206
Senior System Admin - Riderway, Inc.
http://riderway.com / http://ridecharge.com
1024D/EC88A0BF 0DE5 C55C 6BF3 B235 2DAB  B89E 1324 9B4F EC88 A0BF

Work like you don't need the money,
love like you'll never get hurt,
and dance like nobody's watching.