Date:      Sun, 09 Apr 2000 20:38:29 -0700
From:      Doug Barton <Doug@gorean.org>
To:        Cameron Grant <cg@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   SBlive driver

Cameron Grant wrote:

> cg          2000/04/01 23:41:21 PST
>
>   Added files:
>     sys/dev/sound/pci    emu10k1.c emu10k1.h
>   Log:
>   unfinished sblive driver, playback/mixer only for now - not enabled in
>   conf/files
>
>   i don't seem to be clearing the cache right resulting in a short initial
>   burst of noise, despite doing the same as creative and alsa.  i'm committing
>   now so more eyes can pore over the code.

	I finally got around to testing this, and it's causing my machine to
reboot. I cvsup'ed the latest -current sources, made world, built and
installed a new kernel after adding 'device pcm', and rebooted. The card
was detected during boot, and after making snd0, 'cat /dev/sndstat'
reports:

FreeBSD Audio Driver (newpcm) Apr  9 2000 18:53:41
Installed devices:
pcm0: <Creative EMU10K1> at io 0xb800 irq 5 (1p/0r channels duplex)

	I use xfce as my WM, and when I enabled xfsound (which uses esound to
play its sounds) my machine immediately locked up, then after a few
seconds it spontaneously rebooted. I have the following in my kernel
config:

makeoptions     DEBUG=-g                #Build kernel with gdb(1) debug
symbols
options         INVARIANT_SUPPORT
options         INVARIANTS
options         DDB

In spite of that, I get no debug, no crash dump (I have dumpdev in my
/etc/rc.conf.local), nothing but a reboot. I repeated the same
experiment, same result.

	Let me know if there is anything I can do to help.

Doug
--
Excess on occasion is exhilarating.  It prevents moderation from
acquiring the deadening effect of a habit.