Date:      Thu, 31 Oct 1996 12:44:46 -0600 (CST)
From:      Joe Greco <jgreco@brasil.moneng.mei.com>
To:        terry@lambert.org (Terry Lambert)
Cc:        scrappy@ki.net, terry@lambert.org, wollman@lcs.mit.edu, jgreco@brasil.moneng.mei.com, current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: /var/mail (was: re: Help, permission problems...)

> > > He is also the principle author (apparently) of IMAP4, a highly
> > > desirable piece of software for anyone with a 1995 or later mail
> > > client.
> > 	Agreed...which is why I brought this whole discussion into here...
> >
> > 	From what Mark has said, about the only way I can think of for
> > getting this *obvious* security bug fixed is to, either:
>
> [ ... ]
>
> > 	IMHO...what having .lock locking capabilities in IMAP4 is
> > doing is encouraging system administrators to use NFS mounted mail
> > spools, instead of *teaching* system administrators to *not* setup
> > their systems that way...
>
> Or publicize the denial of service attack in the news groups where
> IMAP4 is discussed and hope someone uses it.

TERRRY!  That is perfectly irresponsible :-)

As tempting as it may be, and even though I do not believe in security
through obscurity as a first line of defense, I do believe that there
is some value to security through obscurity.

We would be doing less-sophisticated operating systems a great disservice.

... Joe

Solaria Public Access UNIX - Milwaukee, WI			   414/546-7968