Date:      Tue, 25 Mar 1997 22:40:06 +0100
From:      kuku@gilberto.physik.rwth-aachen.de (Christoph Kukulies)
To:        durang@u.washington.edu (K. Marsh)
Cc:        Lars_Koeller@odie.physik2.uni-rostock.de (Lars Koeller), questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: colorls needs color-xterm?

K. Marsh writes:
> On Tue, 25 Mar 1997, Lars Koeller wrote:
>
> >  > >>>>>SNIP<<<<<<
> >  > >  > However, the only color I can seem to get with xterm is black.
>
> > Do you ever try the console? Thats the first step I think.
>

> Not sure what you mean by console. If that's the xterm that, when exited,
> will TERM twm, then I've tried it and all I get is black.

He meant the vty console (cons25 TERM type).

I'm still not sure wether you are using the correct version of
xterm (it's gotta be from XF8632). You need to put that
*customization: -color
into /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/app-defaults/XTerm
or make sure that the resource is loaded into the server
before the xterm is started.

> If it's a virtual terminal, then colorls produces nice colors there.

You got it ;-)