Date:      Mon, 19 Dec 1994 11:42:44 +0100 (MET)
From:      gvrooij@mmra1.ms.philips.nl (Guido van Rooij)
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   slip over pty's in 1.1

Hi,

We're trying to slip over pty's in 1.1. In order to do that, one should
comment out a line in tty_pty.c that forbids putting a pty to another
discipline. It seems to work normal except that sometimes, the
slip connection seems to 'hang'. Whenever the other end presses a key,
it works again. (a user logged in over the slip line, experienced that
sometimes, when you press ctrl-L in elm, only half of the screen gets
updated.Whenever he pressed another key, the rest would follow).

Whenever the same network connection is not used in slip mode but in
'normal' mode, everything works fine (including UUCP, zmodem etc).
So it seems certain buffers are not flushed in the slip discipline.

My question: are other ppl using the same setup succesfully? Or did
anyone else experience the same behaviour? A patch would even be nicer.

Note: it is yet uncertain if FreeBSD 1.1 is to blame. But I suspect it.

-Guido