Date:      Tue, 14 Sep 2010 10:10:28 -0400
From:      Jung-uk Kim <jkim@FreeBSD.org>
To:        freebsd-java@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: IcedTea6 Mozilla plugin with OpenJDK6

On Tuesday 14 September 2010 04:07 am, Achilleas Mantzios wrote:
> Στις Tuesday 14 September 2010 10:05:22 ο/η Achilleas Mantzios
έγραψε:
> > Στις Monday 13 September 2010 20:54:21 ο/η Jung-uk Kim έγραψε:

> > > I believe it just timed out for your environment.  In fact,
> > > there is a reverse problem, i.e., some applets do not work
> > > locally when they want to open local files.
> >
> > Is that how it is supposed to be? applets work in the sandbox,
> > and by default they are denied access to any local resource.
> > I remember i had to sign applets in order for them to be able to
> > browse local directories. And then the (self produced)
> > certificate should be accepted by the client (browser).
> >
> > > E.g., /usr/local/openjdk6/demo/applets/MoleculeViewer/
> > > and /usr/local/openjdk6/demo/applets/WireFrame/ fail because
> > > they cannot open files in subdirectory (models).  If anyone can
> > > reproduce the same problem under Linux environment, please file
> > > an upstream PR here:
>
> Just tested the molecule applets under Ubuntu and their Exception
> trace is identical with the one in FreeBSD. Its not a bug. Unsigned
> applets are not supposed to access the local file systems.

No, it's a bug, please see below.

http://download.oracle.com/javase/1.4.2/docs/guide/security/PolicyFiles.html

Policy File Syntax
For an applet (or an application running under a security manager) to
be allowed to perform secured actions (such as reading or writing a
file), the applet (or application) must be granted permission for
that particular action. ... (The only exception is that code always
automatically has permission to read files from its same (URL)
location, and subdirectories of that location; it does not need
explicit permission to do so.)

Please try Sun's plugin, for example.

JK