Date:      Fri, 15 Nov 1996 12:57:49 +0800 (CST)
From:      Frank Chen-Hsiung Chan <frankch@waru.life.nthu.edu.tw>
To:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   fast libm?

    Our lab is planning to buy some PPro for scientific calculation.
    We have previously test the performance of a PPro 200 running
    FreeBSD and another running Linux.

    The performance in the Linux box is 2 times faster than the
    FreeBSD box. Through some investigation, we have found that the
    problem is due to the math library. The Linux libm is optimized
    for i386 machine, and written in assembly. Whereas FreeBSD libm
    is written entirely in C.

    Personally I favor the FreeBSD, but calculation speed is the
    major concern.

    I wonder whether there's anyone trying to optimize libm in
    FreeBSD? I believe this will extend the use of FreeBSD in
    scientific realms.

    BTW, if the FPU option in /etc/make.conf is not turned on, the
    FreeBSD performance will be 9 times slower than Linux (in Math
    calculations).

--
    Frank Chen Hsiung Chan        |