Date:      Fri, 3 Oct 1997 10:49:48 +0200
From:      Stefan Esser <se@FreeBSD.ORG>
To:        will@iki.fi
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Conflicting I/O address spaces -- caused by...?

On 1997-10-02 21:48 +0300, Ville-Pertti Keinonen <will@cc.hut.fi> wrote:
> > I think your PCI BIOS is at fault. When the PC
>
> Thanks.  That was the problem, upgrading the BIOS helped.  As a bonus,

Good!

> > Using memory accesses to the Adaptec cards is a
> > valid fix, though!
>
> Wouldn't they still see the I/O ports, as well?

You can clear the LSB of the command register (the
config space register at offset 0x04) to prevent
the decoding of port accesses by some device ...

> > Port addresses in PCI are only present for legacy
> > device emulations, and for DOS which has no easy
> > way to access memory mapped registers above 1MB.
>
> That doesn't mean they shouldn't be assigned sane,
> non-conflicting values.  ;--)

Sure!

> > a fix. Using memory mapped accesses through that
> > PCI bridge may cause system hangs, but only if one
> > of several possible scenarios exists on your system.
> > They cause dead-lock, or even delivery of wrong data,
> > with a very low probability.
>
> It seemed to always hang within less than a minute while accessing a
> SCSI disk when I had it enabled...

This was with the old PCI BIOS ?

Since accesses to the S3 card will no longer be seen by
the Adaptec, now that it got reasonable port addresses,
it should work a lot better now :)

Regards, STefan