Date:      Thu, 5 Nov 1998 22:32:45 -0700 (MST)
From:      Doug Russell <drussell@saturn-tech.com>
To:        Brett Glass <brett@lariat.org>
Cc:        "Jason C. Wells" <jcwells@u.washington.edu>, advocacy@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Linux "best of breed?"

On Thu, 5 Nov 1998, Brett Glass wrote:

> Well, I'm sorry, but I don't continue to nag, it doesn't look as
> if anything is going to happen. Fact is, FreeBSD is losing fast
> to Linux in mindshare, and if this trend isn't turned around soon
> there will be no way to do anything about it later. You'll see
> lots of great UNIX programming tools, applications, etc. coded
> in a way that's so Linux-specific that you won't be able to get
> by without a Linux box. Do you really want to have to shake your
> head and tell people, "I'd like to recommend FreeBSD for this
> task, but under the circumstances you'd really best go with Linux?"

I have to agree.  I don't want to see EVERYTHING go too linux-specific.
Now, I'm not saying we need to go CrazyNuts about it as some linux camps
have done, but I think it is important to get some basic exposure during
these critical times!

We can't just have the attitude that we can sit back and wait for
everything to fall into FreeBSD's lap, so to speak.  There are far too
many people out there who do not have access to all the facts and
information.  (Yet)  It is our job to help educate the masses.

Later......						<Doug>