Date:      Sat, 4 Aug 2001 12:40:15 -0400
From:      Randall Hopper <aa8vb@nc.rr.com>
To:        gecko@tcworks.net
Cc:        multimedia@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Mounting CDROM's, Setting Voodoo3 Depth Settings, and Switching Window Managers

John:
 > First of all, I cannot mount my CDROM and CD-RW drives after I have
 > booted my FreeBSD 4.3 box. It gives me an error that says:
 >
 > Could not mount device.
 > The reported error was:
 >
 > cd9660: /dev/acd0c: Invalid argument
 >
 > And when I try to explore the contents of the drive (just to make sure
 > it wasn't automounted) it gives me the same error. If this is too vague,
 > let me know and I'll try to explain a little better.

Not really enough info for me.  Try: "dmesg | grep ^acd".  You should see a
probe line if the ATAPI driver attached to your CD(s).  E.g.:

  acd0: CD-RW <SONY CD-RW CRX140E> at ata1-master using UDMA33
  acd1: DVD-ROM <Pioneer DVD-ROM ATAPIModel DVD-114 0125> at ata1-slave using
  UDMA33

Next make sure acd0 is really the CD-ROM drive you think it is (if you have
multiple).  Then (just to verify), "cd /dev; sh MAKEDEV acd0".  Then double
check that the CD you have in there really is a data CD (FWIW trying to
mount an audio CD generates EINVAL [Invalid argument]).

Slap this entry in your /etc/fstab (for acd0):

/dev/acd0c              /cd             cd9660  ro,noauto       0       0

mkdir /cd, and mount /cd.

Randall

--
Randall Hopper