Date:      Wed, 13 Nov 1996 00:02:01 -0800 (PST)
From:      "Rodney W. Grimes" <rgrimes@GndRsh.aac.dev.com>
To:        bab@foxtrot.boesusa.com (Barry Boes)
Cc:        hardware@FreeBSD.ORG, questions@FreeBSD.ORG, bab@foxtrot.boesusa.com
Subject:   Re: SMC 9332

> Hello,
>   I'm trying to get a bunch of SMC 9332 cards to work in 10Mb
> mode.  I'm having <0 luck.  Here are all the dead-ends I've
> gone down.

Is this a model SMC9332DST or is it a SMC9332BDT (the BDT is the newer
revision of the board, I have a test sample on the way and it is unknow
if it works correctly)?

If you have the SMC9335DST it should work just fine and dandy with
2.1.5, no hacking needed.

>   I started with a 2.1.5 kernel, which found the card but treated it
> as the experimental 21140.  The card turned on at 10Mb but during the
> device probe switched to 100Mb.  Switching link2 made the kernel say
> it was switching rates, but to no effect.
>   So I installed a -stable kernel.  Same gig.
>
>   Then I pulled the -current if_de.c and dc21040.h.  I
> compiled them into the -stable kernel by changing a few
> things like ether_ioctl to work the old way.  Still no
> change.  Card goes into 100Mb mode and won't come out.
>   So then I tried disabling the code in 9332_media_select
> and probe so that the interface rate would never get changed.
> That makes the card stay in 10Mb mode (my hub understands that
> it's there).  But, I can't see any packets going out the interface
> or coming into the interface.
>
>   I read the hardware documentation and was under the impression
> that these cards were supported.  Am I just completely missing
> the point somewhere?  Does it work and I'm doing something wrong
> or do they not work?
>
>   If they don't work, is there any reasonably easy way for me
> to get my hands on the relevant databooks so I can make it work?
>
> 						Thanks,
> 						Barry Boes

Accurate Automation, Inc.                   Reliable computers for FreeBSD