Date:      Thu, 18 Feb 1999 12:47:41 -0700
From:      Brett Glass <brett@lariat.org>
To:        bpechter@shell.monmouth.com, jamie@itribe.net (Jamie Bowden)
Cc:        freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Linux vs FreeBSD

At 01:49 PM 2/18/99 -0500, Bill Pechter wrote:

>The difficulty is that Linux can be installed and run completely
>out of EXTENDED Partitions (with no primary) and we can't (at least
>couldn't in 2.x or 1.x).
>
>DRAWBACK!!!

Actually, with System Commander you can boot out of a "logical
drive" in an extended partition.

This may be another motivation for cleaning up the way logical drives
inside extended partitions are numbered. I'm not a FreeBSD file system
expert, and I think several of them would need to be modified to fix
the numbering so that there was a way to say "the third logical drive
in extended partition N." Right now, there really isn't due to the
vagaries of the numbering scheme.

--Brett