Date:      Sat, 10 Nov 2001 21:34:35 -0700
From:      Warner Losh <imp@harmony.village.org>
To:        Dinesh Nair <dinesh@alphaque.com>
Cc:        mobile@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: an and wi ad-hoc talking

In message <Pine.BSF.4.21.0111111117530.531-100000@prophet.alphaque.com> Dinesh Nair writes:
: 5.5 miles, what antennaes are you using ? did you get higher gain
: antennaes or is it the stock antennae which came with the card ? also, 5.5
: miles indoor or outdoor ?

I don't know how many places have 5.5 miles indoors :-).  We're using
two Hypergain HG2424G antennas.  They are 24dBi gain.  They run about
$150-$250 depending on your supplier.  There are smaller gain ones
that are cheaper and a little easier to use.

: your post just gave me some hope to solve a problem i've been grappling
: with for a while, i.e. how to provide connectivity to one particular
: hospital which is 4 miles away from a village and doesnt have any
: communications, pstn or otherwise.

You are likely looking at $600 an end:
	$100	Machine (486 or better)
	$35	ISA PCMCIA card
	$65	Wavelan card (more for Silver or Gold)
	$200	Antenna
	$200	Cables, connectors, converters, masts, guy wire, etc.

Warner