Date:      Sun, 07 Jan 1996 20:27:45 -0800
From:      Brett Bourbin <brett@selgus.com>
To:        sos@FreeBSD.org
Cc:        freebsd-hardware@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: PS/2 AUX mouse problems with 2.1

sos@FreeBSD.org wrote:
> Hmm I use it here, and it works fine for me, my config is something like:
>
> device     psm0    at isa? port "IO_KBD" conflicts tty irq 12 vector psmintr
>
> that works on a ASUS p55tp4xeg motherboard with an IBM mouse..
>
> There is work underways in this area as the way its done now is
> not optimal

Well, I have that same line and the probe failed for me.  I have a Pentium 133
SCSI motherboard with a PS/2 AUX port onboard.

Just to see if it was just Windows 95 doing some magic to find the mouse port,
I used my Linux boot disk from another machine I have (which also has a PS/2
AUX mouse port), and it detected and installed the PS/2 mouse driver.

So it was the FreeBSD PSM probe code-- so I commented out the actual test after
the read of the DATA port in psmprobe(), and booted with my new kernel, and it
loaded the driver and it worked fine with XFree86.

This seems to say the probe code is wrong (maybe it just happens to work on some
machines or maybe mine is slightly different).

Since Linux got it correct, I check how they detected the PS/2 mouse, and they
use an INT 11 to read the configuration and then check bit 2 (0x04)  from the
INT return value.  FreeBSD seems to be trying to do some kind of handshake on
the CNTRL port and then reading the DATA port.

> Soren Schmidt             (sos@FreeBSD.org)             FreeBSD Core Team--
  Brett Bourbin, President	SELGUS LIMITED
  brett@selgus.com		555 Bryant Street, Suite 221
				Palo Alto, CA 94301