Date:      Thu, 19 May 2011 23:12:24 -0400
From:      Daniel Staal <DStaal@usa.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: SSD drive not recognized

--As of May 19, 2011 5:30:19 PM -0400, Robert Simmons is alleged to have
said:

> I recently upgraded a hard drive to an SSD drive.  Initially I bought
> a cheap(er) Microcenter house branded SATA II drive (after looking
> around online it turns out it is really an A-Data that was rebranded).
>  It was recognized by the BIOS, but not by FreeBSD.  I decided to
> return it and try a name brand (OCZ Vertex 2, 60GB) with the same
> results.  The system is 8.2-RELEASE and this is a fresh install.
>
> The motherboard (ASRock K8Upgrade-NF3, nForce3 250 chipset) is only
> SATA, not SATA II, but it has another SATA II drive (not SSD) that is
> recognized just fine even without the jumper set to force it to SATA.
> So, I don't think it is a problem with the drive negotiating down to
> SATA, otherwise I don't think the BIOS would recognize it at all.
>
> What is the best way to figure out why FreeBSD does not recognize the
> drive?

--As for the rest, it is mine.

Well, the traditional first start would be a dmesg.

I'm not sure if there is any possible reason why a SATA II drive might not
work on a SATA I interface, but I suppose it's a possibility.  A good
regular HD can fill a SATA I interface, so it could be possible that they
never expected an SSD to be attached to one.

Daniel T. Staal

local copyright law.