Date:      Thu, 02 Nov 2006 14:39:02 -0800
From:      "Kevin Oberman" <oberman@es.net>
To:        gnome@freebsd.org
Subject:   HAL taking over

--==_Exmh_1162507142_6525P

--==_Exmh_1162507052_6525P

HAL looks wonderful, but it seems to be trying to take control of my
system.

I have my system set up to ignore the lid switch
(hw.acpi.lid_switch_state: NONE)

When I have HALD running, it suspends my system, anyway, and it does not
resume. It reboots.

When I have HALD running, I can no longer unmount disks. I can't do it
from the command line (volume busy) or from nautilus (Not authorized).

I suspect HALD can be configured to make all of this work right, but I
don't know quite where to look. (OK, I have some hints on the unmounting
issue, but I have not gotten it to work yet.

Finally, the disks are no longer labeled in a meaningful fashion. What
used to be the "D" drive on my system is now showing up as "7.8 GB". Not
too useful and made a bit worse because I often mount two partitions of
almost exactly the same size.
--
R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer
Energy Sciences Network (ESnet)