Date:      Mon, 30 Apr 2007 11:57:23 -0500
From:      Kevin Kinsey <kdk@daleco.biz>
To:        Ted Mittelstaedt <tedm@toybox.placo.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Is FreeBSD simple enough for Novices, Will FreeBSD accept Office 98 + Publisher?

Ted Mittelstaedt wrote:

> When I wrote my book Addison Wesley used Quark internally, but required
> me to submit my manuscript -on paper-.  They then retyped it, sent me
> the proofs (which had enormous numbers of typos in them) I corrected and
> sent back.
>
> I asked them if I gave them the manuscript in Quark source files if they
> would take that, (because I had access to a pirated copy of Quark and
> figured I would import what I had written my book in) and they would
> not.  They required a paper manuscript.
>
> Thus, use whatever you want to write your book - if your going to get it
> published most likely your publisher will not be using what your using.

:-D

--- a good insight.  "Team written" books with some of today's publishers
are even worse --- some friends of mine had a tome published with plenty
of errors, including Microsoft Word "auto-corrections" inside their code
blocks (I will grant that the publisher wasn't quite Addison-Wesley in
stature).

It's pretty easy to understand why many people choose to publish their
work privately these days.

Kevin Kinsey
--
Credit ... is the only enduring testimonial to man's confidence in man.
		-- James Blish