Date:      Fri, 27 Oct 1995 11:08:51 +0930 (CST)
From:      Michael Smith <msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au>
To:        hobbit@avian.org (*Hobbit*)
Cc:        freebsd-hardware@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: quick SB nit

*Hobbit* stands accused of saying:

> The 2.0.5 CD release seems unable to see a panasonic/matsuSHITa cdrom drive
> plugged into an Acermagic S20 soundcard in "SB emulate mode".  Looking at the
> sources [which I can do via ms-loss] I see that /usr/src/sys/i386/isa/
> matcd/options.h has the base I/O ports for soundblasters in the port_hints[]
> array as 0x230 and 0x240 with a "ports SB can use" comment.

You can override this list with a specific address using userconfig.

> This disagrees with the Acer config utility, which offers options for *0x220*
> and 0x240, and also disagrees with an Acer t.s. rep's assertion that 0x220 is
> THE default base port for ALL soundblasters and emulations thereof.  Not 0x230.

The SB base port has nothing to do with the CD's I/O port.  On some cards, the
port is 0x10 higher than the soundcard base (eg. real SB cards), on others
it may be elsewhere.

> Would this explain why GENERIC is still unable to see the cdrom??  Sorry if
> this particular problem has been discovered and fixed long since and I just
> haven't read the right updated faq.  I'd build a new kernel and test the
> theory, but I've got a bit of a chicken-and-egg problem here...

Tinker with the base address for the CD - with userconfig under 2.0.5R you
still have the "probe" command, so you can prod around and see if you can
find it.   Good luck 8)

> _H*

]] High-speed data acquisition and                                      [[
]] realtime instrument control          (ph/fax) +61-8-267-3039         [[
]] My car has "demand start" -Terry Lambert  UNIX: live FreeBSD or die! [[