Date:      Tue, 29 Jun 1999 17:26:06 +0100
From:      Kevin Bracey <kbracey@e-14.com>
To:        freebsd-net@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Old IP addresses hanging around in routes

In message <Pine.BSF.3.95.990629091327.11345A-100000@current1.whistle.com>
          Julian Elischer <julian@whistle.com> wrote:

> well yes,
>
> if you delete an interface, why would you keep a route that points
> through it?  You want to re-evaluate that route next time you try to reach
> that destination. These changes are aimed evemtially at making interfaced
> dynamic.

I may have misunderstood. In the case where you do something like:

       ifconfig eh0 10.0.4.1
       route add default 10.0.0.1
       ifconfig eh0 10.0.4.2

your change would remove the default route outright, as I read it. It
certainly needs to be reevaluated as to how we actually get to 10.0.0.1
following the reconfiguration of the interface route, but should we remove
the default route altogether?

--
Kevin Bracey, Senior Software Engineer
Pace Micro Technology plc                     Tel: +44 (0) 1223 725228