Date:      Tue, 23 Apr 1996 18:47:15 -0700 (PDT)
From:      "Jonathan M. Bresler" <jmb>
To:        steve@edmweb.com (Steve Reid)
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: tape drive... how to use?

Steve Reid wrote:

> I have a SCSI-II Conner Tape-Stor 4000 installed and working. My question
> is, how do I use the thing?

	use dump.  set teh B flasg to tell dump how long the tape is.
	for my 1.3GB tapes i use:
		"/sbin/dump 0unBbf 1200000 10 /dev/nrst0 /dev/sd1a"

> I've tried tar'ing files, and it seems to work, but I can't tell for sure.
> I've checked the man pages for mt, tar and dump, but it doesn't seem to
> help much. I just tried restoring a file I tar'ed, but after spinning the
> tape for a while tar couldn't find it.
>
> I would like to be able to back up this machine and another to this tape
> drive. The two machines are connected over an ethernet, and I'm running
> ssh.
>
> Please help. I've never really used a tape drive before...

	once you have dump working locally then try rdump.
	rdump requires that you get  r-cmds working
	which is another step.  look at the rsh man page.

	a faq entry is in preparation
--
Jonathan M. Bresler           FreeBSD Postmaster             jmb@FreeBSD.ORG
FreeBSD--4.4BSD Unix for PC clones, source included. http://www.freebsd.org/