Date:      12 Jun 1999 10:51:11 -0700
From:      Arun Sharma <adsharma@home.com>
To:        "Christopher R. Bowman" <crb@ChrisBowman.com>
Cc:        "David E. Cross" <crossd@cs.rpi.edu>, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: High syscall overhead?

"Christopher R. Bowman" <crb@ChrisBowman.com> writes:

> I can't speak authoritatively since I don't know specifically what
> SYSCALL_LOCK is, but if it is what is often referred to on this list
> as the Giant Kernel Lock(tm) then the following should generally
> apply.

You're right. The SYSCALL_LOCK is the same as the giant lock. The name
kinda misled me to assume that it's a different lock.

i386/i386/lock.h:

/*
 * Some handy macros to allow logical organization and
 * convenient reassignment of various locks.
 */

#define FPU_LOCK	call	_get_fpu_lock
#define ALIGN_LOCK	call	_get_align_lock
#define SYSCALL_LOCK	call	_get_syscall_lock
#define ALTSYSCALL_LOCK	call	_get_altsyscall_lock

All of the above routines seem to be identical. But the code is
duplicated for some reason.

Also, it might be beneficial to define these locks in a header file
and inline them, instead of generating a call for each simple_lock.

	-Arun