Date:      Fri, 10 Feb 2017 16:19:13 +0000
From:      "Meyer, Wolfgang" <wolfgang.meyer@hob.de>
To:        "Meyer, Wolfgang" <wolfgang.meyer@hob.de>, "'freebsd-arm@FreeBSD.org'" <freebsd-arm@FreeBSD.org>, "'freebsd-toolchain@FreeBSD.org'" <freebsd-toolchain@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   RE: How to get a crosscompile toolchain for aarch64 for use in poudriere[?]

> Hello,
>

> To make the long story short, after comparing the verbose output of my
> compiling in the jails with that of a direct crosscompile I found out tha=
t it was
> able to correctly link some object files when providing absolute paths to=
 the
> crt*.o files and correct library search path for the libgcc_something lib=
raries.
> Which of course doesn't help when the linker is implicitly called by the
> compiler. Further research showed that I could crosscompile/link when
> providing the --sysroot=3D/ flag to overwrite the sysroot configuration f=
rom the
> build of the crosscompiler. Amending the lines
>
> CFLAGS+=3D--sysroot=3D/
> CPPFLAGS+=3D--sysroot=3D/  (Don't know if needed)
> CXXFLAGS+=3D--sysroot=3D/
> LDFLAGS+=3D--sysroot=3D/
>
> to my poudriere make.conf file I finally was able to produce a working cr=
oss-
> compiled package for aarch64 in poudriere. And the gains are quite signif=
icant
> (around 21 minutes for building pkg package with qemu-user emulation vs 5
> minutes using cross-compilation, native amd64 build in poudriere finishes=
 in
> less than a minute).
>
> Still the creation of the cross-compiling toolchain seems to be quite
> cumbersome. Hence advice on getting such a toolchain in a cleaner way
> (ideally probably a working build for the xdev target) are greatly apprec=
iated.

After building some more packages besides of pkg it seems, I am still not t=
here yet. There is quite some fallout mainly during configure due to not ge=
tting the right searchpath for the libraries. Maybe creating a symlink on t=
he root directory at the path of the expected sysroot directory might heal =
this.

________________________________

Follow HOB:

- HOB: http://www.hob.de/redirect/hob.html
- Xing: http://www.hob.de/redirect/xing.html
- LinkedIn: http://www.hob.de/redirect/linkedin.html
- HOBLink Mobile: http://www.hob.de/redirect/hoblinkmobile.html
- Facebook: http://www.hob.de/redirect/facebook.html
- Twitter: http://www.hob.de/redirect/twitter.html
- YouTube: http://www.hob.de/redirect/youtube.html
- E-Mail: http://www.hob.de/redirect/mail.html

HOB GmbH & Co. KG
Schwadermuehlstr. 3
D-90556 Cadolzburg

Geschaeftsfuehrung: Klaus Brandstaetter, Zoran Adamovic

AG Fuerth, HRA 5180
Steuer-Nr. 218/163/00107
USt-ID-Nr. DE 132747002

Komplementaerin HOB electronic Beteiligungs GmbH
AG Fuerth, HRB 3416