Date:      Mon, 3 Jan 2000 16:25:52 +0100 (CET)
From:      Ronald Klop <ronald@node11a94.a2000.nl>
To:        "Cambria, Mike" <mcambria@lucent.com>
Cc:        "'freebsd-questions@freebsd.org'" <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Moving / filesystem to new disk

On Mon, 3 Jan 2000, Cambria, Mike wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Santa brought me a new (SCSI) disk and I want to move all of my FreeBSD
> partitions still on EIDE to it.  Everything went fine using
> /stand/sysinstall to create and label the new partitions, mount them as
> /mnt1 /mnt2 etc. and the files were copied with tar.  The only filesystem I
> have not tried to move yet is /
>
> Using /stand/sysinstall, each time I mount the new filesystem (vs. swap),
> the letter assigned is 'e' and not 'a'.  Rather than guess, I figured I ask
> the list what the proper thing to do regarding moving the root filesystem
> is.
>
> Thanks,
> MikeC

I don't know the answer to this question about 'e' and 'a', but I do know,
you have to recompile your kernel, because the kernel 'knows' what your
root filesystem is.
I guess you should make a proper kernel. (install it also, but don't
reboot.) Copy your / fs to the new disk. Change the fstab in the /etc
dir on the new disk and reboot from your scsi disk.

On your ide disk you can copy the old kernel back, so you you can still
boot it if something fails.

Greetings,

Ronald.

--