Date:      Wed, 18 Dec 1996 22:00:14 -0800
From:      John Polstra <jdp@polstra.com>
To:        undisclosed-recipients:;
Subject:   Re: Correction: src-release and src-tools will REMAIN

------- Blind-Carbon-Copy

To: freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Date: Wed, 18 Dec 1996 22:00:14 -0800
From: John Polstra <jdp>

Sigh, this does not seem to be a good week for me to make announcements
about things.  I keep getting them wrong and having to post
corrections.  Here's the latest one:

In article <59735o$j03@austin.polstra.com> I wrote:

> The "src-release" and "src-tools" collections are going to remain
> distinct from "src-etc".  I am going to eliminate the overlap that
> currently exists between src-etc and the other two, by modifying
> what is included in src-etc.  That is going to happen on freefall
> this coming Saturday, December 21.
>
> There is going to be a hiccup when this happens.  When sup and
> CVSup notice the change to src-etc, they will proceed to delete
> the affected files on the client machines.  Most people won't care
> about that.  Neither src-release nor src-tools is really a part
> of the system.  If you want to continue to get them anyway, you'll
> have to add those collections to your supfile.
>
> Here's the nasty part:  If you have src-etc AND the other two in
> your supfile, the files are going to be deleted (in connection with
> src-etc) and then sent to you again (as part of src-release and
> src-tools).  Sorry, that's just the way things work under the sup
> model.  It doesn't recognize relationships between files in different
> collections.

I was suffering from faulty memory, and the above warning about
files getting deleted is wrong, at least for CVSup.  I tried it
here, just to be sure, and the transition went very smoothly.  No
files got deleted.  You don't have to take any special action to
keep the files from being re-transmitted to you.  In fact, if you
want those files to be deleted, you're going to have to delete them
manually.

My error was in confusing what happens when a set of files is removed
from a CVSup collection, as opposed to the physical files being removed
from the repository itself.  In the former case, CVSup leaves the files
alone.  They're not in the collection (any more), so CVSup is neither
obligated nor permitted to do anything to them.

Sorry for yet another false alarm.  I'll go away and be quiet now. :-)
- --

------- End of Blind-Carbon-Copy