Date:      Tue, 18 Sep 2001 13:07:12 -0700
From:      Kris Kennaway <kris@obsecurity.org>
To:        Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        stable@FreeBSD.ORG, re@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: 4.4-RELEASE libcrypto.so.[12] confusion/problem...

--bg08WKrSYDhXBjb5

On Tue, Sep 18, 2001 at 09:56:14AM +0200, Poul-Henning Kamp wrote:
>=20
> Imagine this:
> 	install 4.4-RELEASE
> 	install 3rd party software compiled on 4.x
> 	observe the lack of libcrypto.so.1
>=20
> Now, the fix, as it transpires, is to install the "compat4x"
> distribution, but I'd be damned if that sounds even remotely logical
> to me and it is certainly not the first thing I would even think
> about as a "normal user" [tm].
>=20
> Also, I'm not sure that installing compat4x on a 4.4 system wouldn't
> get me an indesirable libc anyway...

No, it only contains libcrypto and libssl.  If for some reason we had
to bump the libc major in RELENG_4, it would also go in compat4x, but
because of the way ELF libraries work on FreeBSD it will only affect
binaries linked against the old version (i.e. they will actually work
:) and not any linked against the new library version.

Kris
--bg08WKrSYDhXBjb5

--bg08WKrSYDhXBjb5--