Date:      Fri, 5 Mar 1999 11:37:42 -0800 (PST)
From:      Doug Ambrisko <ambrisko@whistle.com>
To:        ad@psn.ie (Andy Doran)
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: adaptec 2940u2w hangs on external disks

Andy Doran writes:
| I believe that this is an issue with CAM. I have a bunch of DEC RZ25 disks
| here which work fine with ULTRIX, NetBSD and Linux on several different
| machines. After upgrading from FreeBSD-2.2.6 to 3.0 (and -current)
| the system hangs on boot whenever an RZ25 is hooked up. This is with a
| crappy 'ol Adaptec 1542CP controller.

Most DEC drives as shipped with DEC system do not spin up on power up
(for sure not in the era of the RZ25).  I recall that some DEC drives
had a jumper to select spin up on power up but I don't think all of them
did.  I think they was also a mode page switch.  I also recall that the
1542 BIOS had options to send the command to spin up on power up.

Things to look at.  A long time ago I ran DEC drives on FreeBSD 1.5/2.0
when I had easy access to them.  So I ran into these problems.

Doug A.