Date:      Thu, 23 Feb 1995 09:32:55 -0500 (EST)
From:      "Michael C. Newell" <mnewell@lupine.nsi.nasa.gov>
To:        Don Yuniskis <dgy@seagull.rtd.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD hackers <freebsd-hackers@freefall.cdrom.com>
Subject:   Re: DOS ppp/slip packages

On Tue, 21 Feb 1995, Don Yuniskis wrote:

>     I'd like to setup my FreeBSD box to cater to some DOS users.
> Are there any freely-available packages which would allow them to run
> ppp/slip into FreeBSD host?  What's this "Trumpet" package?

Trumpet is a shareware TCP/IP package for Windoze that supports SLIP and
provides a Winsock (actually, when we tested it it was the ONLY package
that completely supported all Winsock features!) API.  It won't help you
with MS-DOG users, but if you're using Windoze it's easy to install and
we've found it to be pretty solid.

We've also used Chameleon, SuperTCP, and LAN Workplace for DOS; all of
them work with various features (I use SuperTCP's NFS at home) but they
are really messy to set up and manage [with SuperTCP every time I want to
install a new interface I basically have to re-install the entire package;
it keeps losing track of configuration files... ;{(]  There are lots of
other packages out there too, but these are the ones I've experienced.

On the MS-DOG only side things are a bit thinner since there's no
"standard" API for TCP/IP under MS-DOG.  However, we've had some success
with Minuet (shareware) and I've also used PC/TCP (commercial).  SuperTCP
also allows some TCP/IP functionality under MS-DOG (I use the NFS
capability); I'm sure some of the other packages have like functionality.

Hope this helps,

Mike

|Mike Newell                           | The opinions expressed herein are  |
|NASA Science Internet Network Systems | my own, and do not necessarily     |
|Sterling Software, Inc.               | reflect those of the NSI program,  |
|MNewell@nsipo.nasa.gov                | Sterling Software, NASA, or anyone |
|+1-202-434-8954                       | else.                              |